Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Introducing Addison Rose!

Those of you with multiple children (actually, any children!) will probably understand why it's taken a whole month to introduce our little girl to the blog.  To say we're busy is an understatement!  Friends with just one kiddo right now?  Enjoy it, trust me.  We had no idea how easy our life was with just little P until we added this cutie to the mix.  Absolutely worth it, don't get me wrong.  Absolutely exhausting too ;)

Speaking of Parker, he has taken on the big brother role wonderfully.  Everyday he wakes up asking "where's my baby?" as well as when he returns home from daycare.  It's so dang cute.  He kisses and hugs her goodnight and shows so much love to her already.  I'm curious how it will change once she's old enough to snag his toys?!  We shall see :)

Now back to Addison.....she wasted no time making her entrance into the world, once she decided it was time.  I was 3 days late and awoke Saturday morning, August 10th with a few labor signs.  Contractions started later on that morning, but nothing consistent, so off to Parker's first movie we went!  Contractions continued throughout the day, but they did not really start to "count" (in my opinion) until right around 4pm.  We decided Parker would head to my parents house for the night, just in case this was the real deal, clueless that our little girl would be here in just a few short hours.

After Scott came home, I decided to attempt some rest as I had no idea how long this would last and knew I'd need every ounce of energy.  Netflix was playing in our room, but I was already having a hard time concentrating on anything playing.  Snacked a little as well and at some point Scott ran to get himself a quick bite from Bandit Burrito (I declined, not curious to see how mexican food may reappear !).  Not long after he returned the contractions continued to intensify, so I transitioned to the tub as this was the most soothing during Parker's labor.  I quickly learned that every labor is different as this did not provide the relief I had hoped for.

By 7pm, I decided we should head to the hospital.  We had been in contact with our doula throughout the whole day and informed her of this decision.  I feared we were leaving the house too soon (our goal was for another natural, non-medicated birth like Parker's) and didn't want to end up laboring at the hospital too long.  Boy, was I wrong!

All of us reached the hospital shortly before 8 (I believe) and they sent us to triage.  A few minutes later I started feeling like I needed to push - RIGHT NOW!  We informed the nurse, who checked me right away and informed us that the water bag was bulging and I was dilated to a 9.  This pushed them into high gear and I was wheeled to a room immediately.  They didn't even have time to officially check me in and thankfully the midwife on call was waiting downstairs since she lives out of town.  I don't know the exact details, but from what I recall, I started pushing shortly after getting into the bed.  After about 20-30 minutes of pushing, at 8:49pm, our little girl was born!!  A full pound and a few ounces more than Parker, she weighed in at 7 lbs., 12.2 oz.

Declining to find out the gender was without a doubt the best decision we've ever made.  The pure joy and excitement in the last few minutes before she was born was incredible, a feeling that could never be duplicated.  And for anyone that doubted Scott could wait and NOT look at the envelope providing this information?  I can verify that his look of surprise was genuine, it was truly a surprise to him!

Welcome to the world Addison Rose, we are so happy to have you in our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment